Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday March 24, 2009 8:45 PM

Hey Guys,

Happy Tuesday!!!! I have something I have really been wanting to post about, but I want to give a quick therapy update. Today Lee Ann and I walked unassisted around the fishbowl in the gym. This is the offices in the middle of the gym. This is by far the most I have done. Recently I have had a feeling that my progress has plateaued, but I am starting to see a big difference.

OK. On to the meat of the blog.

Well as you all know it is Spring. I've always loved Spring for all of the obvious reasons. We can get out of the house and start getting ready for the beach. However, as soon as January rolls around I have to start thinking of people we have lost in the Spring and early summer in years past. Besides my Granddad, we lost Uncle Larry Grantham and on the horizon is the anniversary of Johnny Martin's death.

Lately I have been putting all my cd's on itunes and that includes my collection of Jimmy Buffett albums. I know it will surprise most of you to know that I have a couple of his tunes. Anyway, it has really made me think of Mr. Johnny listening to a bunch of old Buffett tunes that most have never heard of. We used to fry fish at his house and most nights when the crowd had thinned out he would pull out that guitar and play "African Friend" or "Little Miss Magic". Also, knowing the Masters is coming in a few weeks keeps him on my mind. But, after going through what I have been through in the last year I find myself daily wondering what would he would do here, or how he would handle this. As I am trying to get back on the golf course I really wish I could turn around after hitting a shot and "Say what about that "Mr. John" and see him smoking a cigarette and having that Johnny Martin smile on his face. He loved a challenge and he was a mentor when I learned the game and I know he would be instrumental in getting me back out there. He was definitely an extraordinary talent and a special man. I miss you Mr. Johnny.

NG

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEIL, YOU ARE A SWEET AND GENTLE GUY AS EVERYONE THAT KNOWS YOU OR MEETS YOU WILL AGREE. JUST REMEMBER THAT IN YOUR LIFE JOURNEY THAT YOU ARE NOW "A MENTOR" FOR SOMEONE. YOU MAY NEVER HEAR THAT PERSON BUT YOU ARE - YOU ARE TRULY AN INSPIRATION TO ALL WHO KNOW YOU. YOU CERTAINLY AN INSPIRATION TO ME AND ALWAYS BRIGHTEN MY DAY WHEN I NEED IT.....
LOVE MS. V

Anonymous said...

I loved your post and I along with you miss him and wish I could talk to him again. he was truly one of a kind!! Continue to improve.
Retta

Anonymous said...

Neil,
What a special message. I surely miss him and think of him daily!! Please know that he would be soooo proud of you and your recent accomplishments. He sure taught me a lot and to never give up was his most important lesson. You continue to work hard to get back to playing golf and you and I both know that he IS watching, and to see you play again will surely make him smile. Again, I read your blog over and again, you could never know how much it means to me.
Love ya a bunch!
Jill