Friday, February 18, 2011

Dale Earnhardt

I can't believe I have never mentioned this before, but February 18th 2001 was the day Dale Earnhardt was killed.  It is shocking to me that it has been 10 years since his death.  For those of you that didn't know I was a huge Earnhardt fan and lived and breathed racing. 

That year Dale was coming off a 2nd place finish in the points and DEI/RCR really had something going.  Anyway,  I can tell you play-by-play how everything happened and where I was every step off the way.  I probably took his death a little too hard, but he was my hero and for the last 12-15 years of my life I watched him every Sunday. 

After he died I kept up with racing but it was no longer my passion.  A few years later I barely watched all the races and now I don't even watch a whole one now.

Those times in my life were awesome and we made great friends in NASCAR and in Talladega.  I think it is great that 10 years later I can look back and smile about a bad man who was like John Wayne in my eyes.

He was definitely the man!
Jr.

No comments: